Wednesday, July 9, 2014

McCall's Archive Collection, Fall 2014

Hey all. Some of you may already know, but McCall's patterns announced they were going to start reissuing their back catalog, much like Simplicity, Butterick, and Vintage Vogue have been doing for years. The patterns were released last week and I have to say I wasn't too terribly thrilled.

The skirt

Let me start by saying I LOVE THIS SKIRT!!!! I would have bought it even if it wasn't marketed as vintage. This photo is the actual pattern I received in the mail today. I love it so much it's a HIGH PRIORITY on my "to sew" list. You can't see the details on the photo, but the skirt has some awesome seam work!

There is nothing about this skirt I don't love! I will add that I'm fully aware this pattern is more "vintage inspired" than I think it's an actual reproduction of a 1933 pattern. The first giveaway is that there is no photo of the original pattern artwork (like the other pattern brands always include!) The second giveaway is that these lines are no more "1933" than my Lucky 13 Roller Derby t-shirts! Ok, maybe that's a stretch (lol), but the lines, to me, seem like a generic, modernized vintage-inspired style. Again, NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT (as I LOVE the skirt regardless) -- but it should be marketed as such. Still, I LOVE THAT SKIRT!

The jacket

Ok, here's the weird part. The skirt and jacket (which are shown as a complete outfit) are SEPARATE PATTERNS. Why are they not together like the other patterns? I have no idea. My only guess is to make more money. Luckily, I don't wear jackets like this so I skipped this pattern. It would have been nice to have it all in one envelope, but I guess it's less wasted pattern I'll never make...haha. I can't comment on the jacket because I don't care much for it and I don't plan on buying it.

Overall, View A saves the skirt pattern from becoming completely underwhelming. View B looks more late 40s to me (generic vintage -inspired!). The separate jacket pattern is really weird. And completely underwhelming. The lack of original art is weird, too. Skirt "A", though! I do love it!

1 comment:

  1. It's about time McCalls entered the vintage reprint game! This pattern looks absolutely charming. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Making 2020 Interesting

I know this used to be a sewing blog, but I have only sewn two thing in two years. I plan to start doing in again in the upcoming months as...