Tuesday, July 15, 2014

When People Find Out You Can Sew....

...they think you can sew EVERYTHING. Lol. NOPE! I've had offers to repair car seats, make a wedding dress, and custom-fit dresses from my pattern collection for strangers. I can't do any of this. Upholstery is something completely different from sewing little cotton dresses...lol. I have no interest in it. There's also those who think my little plastic sewing machine can handle heavy-duty fabrics/upholsteries. NOPE. You would bend and break everything on my machine.

An intricate wedding dress is way beyond my skill level and so is refitting patterns. Frankly, I have no desire to learn to refit patterns for anyone other than myself. I have zero desire to sew for profit, since I know that would take all the fun out of it. For me, sewing is one of my all-time anxiety relievers. I love seeing a flat, 70-year-old piece of paper turn into something with life in it! Sewing for other people would just crush that. I'm quite happy making my little cotton frocks that range from easy peasy to kinda challenging. I am not a perfect sewist and will never claim to be -- but I know how to hide my mistakes ;)

4 comments:

  1. So true! Also, since I make mostly costumes, I don't really sew everyday clothes, so I never like getting the question "Did you make that dress/top/whatever-you-are-wearing?" because as soon as I answer "No, I bought it," their expression changes and they look as though I've betrayed them somehow because I don't sew every single thing I wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't wear my cotton vintage dresses all the time, either. And I still get "Did you make that?" when my jacket says THE NORTH FACE right on it...lol. I know they are just trying to converse with me about something I like....but on the other hand, it says a brand logo right on it. No one can be that dense :(

      Delete
  2. I admit, when I find out someone can sew (I'm SUCH a procrastinator *lol*) I try and comment on the really neat details they've added to something, or appreciate their skills in general. I'd hate to become one of "those people" that ask if this person can sew something for me, or innundate them with sewing questions, or whatever. It strikes me as a little rude to do that to someone, actually, but that's just my personal opinion (and on a planet of 7 billion people, it really doesn't count for much)...

    May you both continue to enjoy your sewing projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it is kinda rude, lol. A family member asked me to sew her wedding dress. I don't think she's ever complimented me on any self-sewn thing I've ever worn to her house. I'm pretty sure she thought she was complimenting me by "letting" me sew her gown. Lol. Needless to say, I didn't do it. I can't. Unless she wanted a white cotton dress!

      Delete

Making 2020 Interesting

I know this used to be a sewing blog, but I have only sewn two thing in two years. I plan to start doing in again in the upcoming months as...