Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Dress #29 -- Hollywood 1391 (1937)

St. Anne really gave me her blessing with this one!

And for fun, a birdie in the sky!!!

My, oh, my did I love this pattern! Someone put it up for sale on a FB group and I was at the right place and the right time. I snatched this baby up as soon as it was posted! The envelope art is good enough, but I seriously think my rendition is better!

The skirt was easy enough to make -- it's 10 gores, which gives it that flouncey bottom! The bodice was a little bit of a challenge for me. The basic pieces went together nicely, and so did the sleeves, but I had some issues with the collar and front zipper. The collared version is supposed to button up the front, but I liked the zipper better. Putting in the zipper was no biggie -- I just ended up having to remove it and re-sew it more than once!

This is why: the collar gave me some issues. There is no neck facing in these 30s patterns. They have to do a lapped collar instead. While I can easily do that, I just don't like it that much. It also left a bit of raw edge between the collar and the zipper and it didn't look good. This dress was too perfect to just make it "passable" so I tore the collar off and made a facing for it. Aaaah! It sat much better and looked so perfect! But then the zipper sat up too high...lol. All this and I managed to finish it from Friday to Monday. It was my baby and I became addicted to getting her just perfect!

8 comments:

  1. You've made a gorgeous dress, and yes it's much prettier than the cover art

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you explain what a lapped collar is and how it differs from one with facing? I love to hear how others are conquering these great patterns. Great fabric choice. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lapped is when you fold the seam allowance under on the open end of the collar, put the raw edge of the bodice in between the folded over seam allowance, and then sew it on. It's easy, I just think it looks bad when there is no button hole facing to face the raw edge gap between the collar and zipper.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely adorable! I love visible zippers in 30s and 40s dresses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Me, too! I like to make them in contrasting colors so they stand out more.

      Delete
  4. OMG it is gorgeous! Forgive me, but I'm so jealous! *lol* :)

    ReplyDelete

Making 2020 Interesting

I know this used to be a sewing blog, but I have only sewn two thing in two years. I plan to start doing in again in the upcoming months as...